100 Book Challenge Weeks 16 & 17


Hurrah! I've caught up with the schedule. Finally! It was a long haul and I shall make a concerted effort NOT to fall behind again. It is a crazy challenge in the first place. I know I read a lot, but compelling myself to read two books a weeks was plain loco! I'll finish the challenge, as stubborn as I am, but I don't think I'll be silly enough to do that to myself again. Until the next time. :)


Book Review #32: 84, Charing Cross Road
Author: Helene Hanff
Genre: Human Drama

Blurb: It all began with a letter inquiring about second-hand books, written by Helene Hanff in New York, and posted to a bookshop at 84, Charing Cross Road in London. As Helene's sarcastic and witty letters are responded to by the stodgy and proper Frank Doel of 84, Charing Cross Road, a relationship blossoms into a warm, charming, feisty friendship that spans the decades and the miles.

Review: What a delightful book! I found it warm and funny, easy to read yet captivating. I thought I’d find the letter writing format annoying, but actually it wasn’t. What did get me was remembering to read the dates of the letters and placing them accordingly. They covered over two decades of communication. It made me think how transient is human life, yet how much of an impact we make!

Helene Hanff is a hoot, and I would have loved to be able to meet her. Such zany humor and irreverent joy in life is right up my alley. I loved her zest and enthusiasm.

I believe the book was made into a movie, but I haven’t seen it and have no idea how it would work. I’d be interested to see how they did it.

Book Review #33: On the Prowl
Author: Patricia Biggs
Genre: Fantasy

Blurb: Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna is that rarest kind of werewolf: an Omega. And one of the most powerful werewolves in the country will recognize her value as a pack member—and as his mate.

Review: This is a novelette, not a full book, a prequel to a series. I had enjoyed the Mercy Thompson series and was interested when I discovered this one. It’s not an entirely new series; it has many of the same characters, but from an entirely new perspective. Although this was far too short to make a definite claim as to which series I enjoyed more, it definitely held my attention and I look forward to the next book. It’s definitely gripping enough that I’m going to start reading it right now! J


Author: Patricia Biggs
Genre: Fantasy

Blurb: Mysteries deepen and dangers multiply as a monster haunts the wilderness. Can Charles and Anna solve the mystery that threatens the werewolves with exposure? And can they manage the strange bond that ties the two of them together?

Review: Wow, what an unrelenting rollercoaster ride this turned out to be. An absolute page turner that refused to allow me to put it down until the very last punctuation mark!

I’m not sure if having read the Mercy Thompson series increased my understanding and thus my enjoyment, or if it was the book itself, but this was way better than any book in that series, IMHO. It just galloped along with breathtaking action, hardly pausing between chapters before dragging you into the next development.

I loved this book. And I have the next…

And yes, this abrupt review is going to irritate the hell out of one of my readers (you know who you are), but I said I liked it and I’m NOT going to analyze it. I want to go read the next one. Deal!

Comments

Popular Posts