Crocktober: Gluten Free Chicken and Dumplings


Due to busy work schedules and official functions that had us eating out, it's been a while since I got to use the crock pot for my Crocktober makes. With forethought and planning, though, I had it all set up last night so that everything was defrosted and ready to go in the morning to make my new dish: Gluten Free Chicken and Dumplings.

Now, this sounded like a really great idea - the ultimate comfort food. And I even found a trusted recipe meister - Betty Crocker. Her recipes usually work out wonderfully, I've had great success with her cookbooks and website. I used the dumplings recipe from this page, but as it is not a crock pot recipe, I used the chicken soup recipe from EZ Gluten Free.

Proof this is a crock pot dish

So - the fly in the pie must have been me. While the stew was kinda ok, the dumplings were kinda awful. Oh, yeah, they came up puffy and all, but they were tasteless and, even worse, dissolved into a soggy mess in the soup like pulpy cardboard. And I forgot to include the parsley.

Parsley added afterwards

It was so bad that Himself decreed the leftovers were to be donated to the guards. Now, it was edible (with a healthy dose of Worcestershire sauce), so that's not as much of an insult as it sounds. And they were grateful and hopeful of a repeat donation, apparently, so all good.

But I fear Himself has been put off dumplings for life now. :(

Comments

Popular Posts