Ginger Pecan Apple Crisp

Kinda frankenrecipe'd this one, but it turned out really good, so I figured I'd share.


The texture is less like crisp and more like cake, in my opinion, but it was still very good!

We tucked in before it was even cold!  I do love Apple Crisp and Apple Crumble. It's a no fail recipe that can be whipped up for almost any occasion, using whatever you have on hand.


Also, for some reason, it created it's own sauce, which was rich and added flavor and moisture to the taste and texture. I'm fairly certain a fair whack of the sauce was sugar, so if you reduce the sugar in this recipe, you might want to add a little liquid to your apples.


The crust, despite being cake-y had a bit of a crumble look to it. Crumbled cake? LOL


And the pieces of apple and ginger were perfect bite size! Yum! No how-to photos, because I hadn't planned to share, but here's the recipe outline. I put together what I had in the fridge, listened to a Google Home recipe feed for a basic outline of crisp ingredients (and then put together my own mix anyway!) and threw it in the oven at the temperature I was using to cook beef chuck ribs - which was way lower than I'd usually use for a crisp recipe! However, it turned out so good, I may run this one through the motions again.

Ingredients:

Base:
4 - 6 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces.
(I used what was in the fridge, which was a mix of red, gold, and yellow this time.)
1/2 cup brown sugar (if you reduce the sugar, add a couple tablespoons water.)
1 finger fresh ginger - literally, about the size of one finger. Peeled and chopped very small.
1/2 cup pecans, shelled and chopped into small pieces.

Topping:
2 cups oats, rolled or quick cooking. Not steel cut
1 cup white sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cold, and cut into dice-sized cubes.

Method:

Heat the oven to 300F/150C/Gas Mark 3 (or do as I did, and work out how far into your cooking time you must put it in for the last 30-45 minutes of whatever you're making!)

Toss the base ingredients into an oven proof dish and mix well together. The recipe books all say "grease a dish" but I always forget and didn't do it this time either. I used a large oval dish, I'd say a 13"x 9" would work fine. If the dish looks a little full, use less apples. If it looks a little spare, add more apples. I did say this is a no fail recipe...

Put the dry topping ingredients into a large mixing bowl and blend. Drop in the butter and cut it into the dry mix with a pastry cutter, your preferred alternate tool, or my preferred alternate tool - fingers. Cut or rub the butter into the mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Pour the crisp mix over the fruit mix in the bowl. Mine piled high and I had to pat it down to make it all fit. It shrinks in the oven, so having a little too much is not a big deal.

Cover with tin foil and put in the oven for 30 - 45 minutes. Remove the foil, turn the oven up to 350F/180C/Gas Mark 4 for another half an hour.

Remove and eat. Covered in the fridge it lasts for several days (hahahahahahahaha! yeah, right!) and can be eaten cold, or nuked in the microwave to warm it up again. Eat as is, or top it with ice cream, whipped cream, or my personal pleasure - fresh original Greek yogurt. It cuts the sweetness, adds a delicious touch of tart, and cools it down enough that you can inhale it straight from the oven without suffering second-degree burns. Plus, it's healthy!


Comments

Popular Posts