A dress, a dress, one year with one dress!

You can't have too many dresses.

So I've been told.


Some fashionista's tell you that you should have as many dresses as you can, as they're "an entire outfit in one". I know one fashion consultant who swears you should only have one LBD, because the secret to wardrobe success is mix and match, which you can only do with tons of skirts, pants and tops.

Either way, would you own only ONE dress and wear it for 365 days in a row? One entire year in the same dress? Yes, I'm guessing you'd wash it frequently...

Well, I'm not sure if this lady was a lunatic or a genius, but she wanted to showcase consumerism and thrift, so she decided to wear the same, one dress every day for 365 days and make it look different by accessorizing. It was an exercise in sustainable fashion as well as a fundraiser, and it raised over 100K for underprivileged kids.

From the website:
Thus, in May 2009, with fashion as her medium, and education her cause, U.P Founder Sheena Matheiken launched the Uniform Project, pledging to wear one little black dress for 365 days as an exercise in sustainability and a fundraiser to support the Akanksha Foundation— a non-profit organization providing education to underprivileged children living in Indian slums. And for the next year, Sheena reinvented her uniform by accessorizing with vintage, handmade, reused, or donated pieces.

Besides not having that joie de vivre or chic gene that means I would have no idea how to accessorize the same dress for 30 days in a row, let alone over 10 times that many, there's no WAY I'd wear only one dress every day for a year. I LOVE color and change and variety! Ok, so, she has actually managed to incorporate all three of those loves in her looks, but I'm too old to get away with most of them, and there's no ways I'd be allowed to wear a lot of them to my office. I'd be sent home by the boss to change.

That being said, I'm really impressed by her commitment and her success. Pop over to www.theuniformproject.com and admire her 365 looks. She's very talented.


Comments

Popular Posts